Friday, August 1, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy Review (No Spoilers)

                      Guardians of the Galaxy
                                 By:Adam Daly
                                        Directed by James Gunn

When the galaxy needs saving, who are you going to call?  The Guardians of the Galaxy of course.  Marvel Studios is back at it with the last movie before "The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron"  Marvel has made such a great cinematic universe.  Ever since they took a gamble with Iron Man their game plan was set.  Phase One had some good films that set up the first Avengers movie.  Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Iron Man 2, and Captain America:The First Avenger each one played of each other and set up this amazing Universe.  After the Avengers phase two began.  In my opinion it started off with so much hope, considering how good The Avengers was.  Iron Man 3 didn't deliver and they tried to make a complex villain then went 180 degrees with it.  Thor:The Dark World improved  from the first Thor film but the character development lacked.  The highlight of Thor 2 was Loki!  Loki has set the bar high for the villains.  Then the Captain America:The Winter Solider came out and totally saved Phase Two.  It was one of the best Marvel movie that has come out to date.  This brings us to Marvel's biggest gamble, The Guardians of the Galaxy. A thief, an assassin, two thugs, and a maniac!


Since this movie was first announced I was excited.  I was excited for a couple of reason.  I have been tired of seeing the same stories and characters.  So seeing something different is always good.  Another things was the huge amount of stars.  Chris Pratt plays Star-Lord, the thief.  Zoe Saldana plays Gamora, the assassin.  Bradley Cooper plays Rocket Raccoon, one of the thugs.  Vin Diesel plays Groot, the other thug.  Dave Bautista plays Drax the Destroyer, the maniac.  The supporting cast is just as good, Lee Pace, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio Del Torro, Josh Brolin, and Michael Rooker.  This has all the makings of being one if not the best Marvel film to date!  Oh, and to top it of this is my most anticipated movie of the year! 
  
There was a lot of question marks surrounding this movie.  Who are these characters?  What do they have to do with the Avengers?  A talking tree and raccoon, really?  How are they going to make this work?  Well let me tell you Marvel and James Gunn make it work, and work extremely good!!!  

The performances in this movie were amazing.  This is Chris Pratt's movie, and he shines in it.  He continues to show that he is a rising star!  Every line, he delivers with his trademark charm and wit.  I can't imagine anyone else as Star-Lord, and I don't want too.  If you would of said that Chris Pratt was going to be in a leading role of any movie a few years ago, I would of laughed and doubted you.  But he is given the reigns and showed me that he knows what he is doing.  

Bradley Cooper as Rocket, besides Star-Lord, was the best character in the film.  Being a talking raccoon is something so out of left field you have to see with your own eyes to believe it.  Marvel makes it work and it was amazing.  He was by far one of the funniest parts of the film.  It made me wonder what he was going to say next.  My original thought was that Disney was going to market him as the character to bring kids into the theater.  Let me tell you he isn't a kids character.  

I heard it said,"It ain't easy being green."  Well ask Zoe Saldana if that's true.  She makes it look so easy and hot at the same time.  Her character as the deadly assassin reminded me of the Black Widow from the Avengers.  She shows the toughness that the guys have but with a little extra style.  Out of the group I would of liked a little more of her back story.

Groot is harder to talk about due to the lack of dialogue that he has.  He however has the most heart out of the group.  He had some really funny moments and one moment that surprised me.  The only thing I can really say is, "I am Groot".  

Drax the Destroyer was the character I really wanted to see.  This is Dave Bautista's first really big budget Hollywood film.  He is the muscle of the group, but also has some dead pan wit to throw in there as well.  I've always been a fan of Bautista's mainly because of his WWE days. (I know it's fake)  He transferred his larger than life in ring style to the screen so well.  He plays a major role in the the overall story, that I'm already excited to see how he get's there.
   
Guardians of the Galaxy brings one of the better villain adaptations to the screen.  It might not be as good as Loki but it's a least top 3 for the franchise.  He was sure the scariest one too.  You knew right away what he planed on doing and why he was doing it.  It was cool to see his interaction with a certain someone too.  Lee Pace good job.  

The movie from start to finish keeps your attention and never lets it go.  It was by far the funniest Marvel movie.  The story might not be as deep as Captain America:The Winter Solider, but it is unique experience and a joy to witness.

My only complaint about this movie (without spoiling anything) was the end credit scene.  I wish it was the Avengers 2 trailer but we got something else.

In closing, this was the most fun I have had in the theater this year!! I continue to be amazed by Chris Pratt, and I can't wait for his next project (Jurassic World) to come out.  I enjoyed the group of misfit heroes and the back and fourth they shared between one another.  The casting of the five main character was spot on.  The soundtrack was also amazing and brings you back to the good ole' days.

My bold statement for Guardians of the Galaxy is that it's my favorite Marvel movie ever!  It's a must watch!  To be honest, I'm surprised I didn't spoil anything in the movie in this review.  I didn't want to talk about the plot. Cause the characters are so good, it's them alone that make this movie. The rest is just icing on the cake.
My Rating is...
4 stars!!

1 comment: