Sunday, July 27, 2014

2014:Mid-Year Review

2014: The Best so far!!!

   So we are about 8 months into this wonderful year of films.  I know that I have seen some great ones and I've seen my share of duds!  I've seen about 30 movies so far and I wanted to do this best of list just to start a discussion really.  I know that there are tons of great stuff out there that I haven't got to yet, but Netflix is slow at times!  I've definitely gone to the cinema a lot this year, not just to see the big box office flicks but to see indy films too!  (Thank You TODD!!)  I will be doing this by category. I'll list them and then pick my favorite from them.
First off though here's the films I've seen so far...

22 Jumpstreet
About Last Night
Bad Words
Captain America The Winter Solider
Chef
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Godzilla
Grand Budapest Hotel,The
Fed Up
Fluffy Movie,The 
Ida
Lego Movie
Locke
Lucky Them
Jack Ryan:Shadow Recruit
Maleficent
Million Dollar Arm
Neighbors
Non-Stop
Paranormal Activity The Marked One
Purge:Anarchy,The
Ride Along
Robocop
That Awkward Moment
Think Like a Man Too
X-Men:Days of Future Past
Walk of Shame
Wish I Was Here

Best Actor:
Jon Favreau-Chef
Andy Serkis-Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Tom Hardy-Locke
Zach Braff-Wish I Was Here
Ralph Fiennes-The Grand Budapest Hotel

Honorable Mentions:
Jason Bateman-Bad Words
Hugh Jackman-X-Men Days of Future Past

This was rather difficult for me.  I enjoyed these five actors a lot!  I would have to say my favorite is Andy Serkis!  The guys is in a full body suit the whole time he films, and yet he still can relay the feelings of Cesar.  I thought his performance was better than the first film and I can't wait to see if they do a third one! 

Best Supporting Actor:
Tony Revolori-The Grand Budapest Hotel
Michael Fassbender-X-Men Days of Future Past
Josh Gad-Wish I Was Here
Pitobash-Million Dollar Arm
Zach Effron-Neighbors

    This one is easier for me!  I'm going with Zach Effron.  He has defiantly broken away from his old High School Musical days.  This was his best role to date and a good rebound role as well from earlier dud, The Awkward Moment.


Honorable Mentions
Samuel L. Jackson-Captain America The Winter Solider

Best Actress:
Agata Trzebuchowska-Ida
Kate Hudson-Wish I Was Here
Elizabeth Banks-Walk of Shame
Angelina Jolie-Maleficent
Julianne Moore-Non-Stop

Honorable Mentions:
Kerri Russel-Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I went back and fourth between two of these leading ladies but in the end I'm going with the rookie here.  Agata Trzebuchowska was just amazing in Ida.  Its crazy because it's her first role as well.  She made me feel conflicted and I kept wondering what she was thinking the entire film.  I hope she does another film soon so we could hopefully see her growth.


Best Supporting Actress:
Agata Kulesza-Ida
Joey King-Wish I Was Here
Abbie Cornish-Robocop
Ellie Fanning-Maleficent
Scarlett Johansson-Chef

Honorable Mentions:
Kiera Knightley-Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit

This one is an easy choice for me.  Joey King is simple amazing in Wish I Was Here.  She's been in a lot more movies than I thought and she still just learning her craft.  I think that she could be a good break out star soon.  Only time will tell!


Best Director:
Zach Braff-Wish I Was Here
Steven Knight-Locke
Jon Favreau-Chef
Bryan Singer-X-Men Days of Future Past
Matt Reeves-Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Honorable Mention:
Wes Anderson-The Grand Budapest Hotel

All five are really deserving choices here.  All five films provided moments that will be remembered one way or another.  If it was a big budget movie or just an indy film, you have to have good direction.  All our favorites have a man in charge.  So far this year I think it's Bryan Singer.  I know that this will be the debated one here.  But think about how good the X-Men movies were when, Singer, did the first two.  Then Ratner ruined the third one and the franchise never recovered, until now.  Considering all the star power this movie had too, (Jackman, Stewart, Fassbender, McAvoy, Lawrence, Berry, McKellen, Dinklage etc) he kept things in order.   This movie garnered 1 of my 4, 4 star ratings too.

My Top Ten so far in 2014:
                                                                           10:



                                                                             9:
                                      
                                       8:

                                      7:


                                                                            6:

5:

                                         4:

                                       3:

2:

1:
   
                                                                                          So that's my top ten!  I know there are a lot out there that I haven't seen yet!  I am prepared for this list to change! I hope it does too cause then there were some great movies!

I'm already looking forward to
1:Guardians of the Galaxay
2: Foxcatcher
3: Boyhood
4: Gone Girl
5: Birdman
6: Hunger Games:Mocking Jay Part 1
7: Interstellar
8: Sin City: A Dame to Kill
9: Nightcrawler
10: A Most Wanted Man
11: Into the Storm
12: The Hobbit 3
13 :Snowpiercer
14: Fury
15: Dumb and Dumber to

 So in closing I hope you all have fun at the movies!  Please tell me what your looking forward to!  What did you agree with me on?  What did you think I got wrong?  Let me know!!

And as always Thank You!!  Adam 
                                               

2 comments:

  1. Solid stuff...I need to check out the Zach Braff movie and definitely "Ida". Here are a rundown of my awards so far:

    BEST PICTURE
    Jersey Boys ***
    Big Bad Wolves
    Calvary
    Chef
    The Raid 2
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    The Lego Movie
    Creep
    The Purge: Anarchy
    Edge of Tomorrow

    BEST DIRECTOR
    Clint Eastwood - Jersey Boys ***
    Aharon Keshles, Navot Papushado - Big Bad Wolves
    John Michael McDonagh - Calvary
    Gareth Evans - The Raid 2
    Matt Reeves - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

    BEST ACTOR
    Brendan Gleeson - Calvary ***
    Tom Hardy - Locke
    Nicolas Cage - Joe
    Andy Serkis - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    Guy Pearce - The Rover

    BEST ACTRESS
    Scarlett Johansson - Under the Skin ***
    Stacy Martin - Nymphomaniac: Vol. I
    Charlotte Gainsbourg - Nymphomaniac: Vol. II
    Toni Collette - Lucky Them
    Shailene Woodley - The Fault in Our Stars

    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Robert Pattinson - The Rover ***
    Gary Poulter - Joe
    Rotem Keinan - Big Bad Wolves
    Christopher Walken - Jersey Boys
    Aidan Gillen - Calvary

    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Mireille Enos - Sabotage ***
    Kelly Reilly - Calvary
    Uma Thurman - Nymphomaniac: Vol. I
    Laura Dern - The Fault in Our Stars
    Imogen Poots - That Awkward Moment

    MOST ANTICIPATED:
    1. Boyhood
    2. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
    3. Foxcatcher
    4. Birdman
    5. Inherent Vice
    6. Snowpiercer
    7. Gone Girl
    8. Unbroken
    9. Whiplash
    10. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list, Adam (and Todd). You've both seen much more 2013 films than I have. Adam, you are absolutely right about Agata Trzebuchowska. She is stunning in "Ida." I felt like the movie didn't even really need to have a story or any sort of dramatic action -- just scenes with her. She has a great, distinctive movie look -- sort of like Sissy Spacek crossed with Liv Ullmann. Nice pick with Zac Efron (AKA Tim Tebow) and "Captain America" was a lot better than I thought it would be.

    Here are my winners (I've seen embarrassingly few films this year to even warrant nominees):
    Picture: "Life Itself" (until I see "Boyhood")
    Director: Steve James, "Life Itself"
    Actor: Tom Hardy, "Lock"
    Actress: Agata Trzebuchowska, "Ida"
    Supporting Actor: Tom Wilkinson, "Belle"
    Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence, "X Men: Days of Future Past"
    Most Anticipated:
    1. Boyhood
    2. Gone Girl
    3. Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby
    4. Foxcatcher
    5. Inherent Vice
    6. Cavalry
    7. Hunger Games
    8. A Most Wanted Man
    9. Birdman
    10. Wild

    ReplyDelete