Top 25 Poll
Others receiving votes: Clemson, Georgia Southern, Minnesota, West Virginia, Wisconsin
Dropped from the rankings: West Virginia (20), East Carolina (24)
25 (23). LSU (7-2) – IDLE
24 (21). Boise State (6-2) – IDLE
23 (12). Georgia (6-2) – The Bulldogs at times look like the best team in the nation, and then they get blown out by a horrible Florida offense. I don’t know what to make of this team anymore.
22 (NR). Iowa (6-2) – Iowa opened some eyes with their dismantling of a normally pretty solid Northwestern squad. They are the dark horse in the conference.
21 (NR). Oklahoma (6-2) – Trevor Knight and company got back on track with a huge offensive day against Iowa State. The Big 12 is insane.
20 (22). Colorado State (8-1) – This is a team that we really don’t know much about, but they keep piling up wins in a really decent Mountain West Conference. They are a program on the rise.
19 (14). Mississippi (7-2) – Ole Miss gets their first home loss of the year at the hands of Auburn. It’s hard to believe that they have lost two in a row after those magical first 7 games.
18 (18). Marshall (8-0) – IDLE
17 (17). Utah (6-2) – The Utes got a hard fought road loss at ASU. The Pac-12 South is up for grabs. They are all taking each other out.
16 (19). Duke (7-1) – Duke is rolling right now. They look better than they did last season and is clearly the 2nd best ACC team.
15 (8). Arizona (7-2) – For the first time, the slow offensive start for the Wildcats translated into a loss. UCLA was able to just confuse and shut them down all game.
14 (25). UCLA (7-2) – I really wish I could figure this team out. They are up and down and still the most talented team in the conference.
13 (16). Nebraska (8-1) – They won a sluggish game, but that was mostly due to Abdullah getting injured early on. They get a week off for him to get right before a key matchup in Madison.
12 (13). Ohio State (7-1) – This team is really hitting its stride and is as scary as any team in the nation with JT Barrett at the helm.
11 (10). Michigan State (7-1) – IDLE
10 (15). Arizona State (7-1) – They got one of the more impressive wins of the weekend with their gutsy victory over Utah. This team, aside from a disastrous special teams effort against UCLA, looks like one of the elite teams in the nation.
9 (11). Baylor (7-1) – The Bears continue to roll all over the weak teams and battle with the good teams. I love following that conference.
8 (6). Alabama (7-1) – IDLE
7 (5). Notre Dame (7-1) – They struggled mightily against Navy, as they usually do. Some games this team just decides to go through the motions. Remember the UNC game?
6 (9). Oregon (8-1) – The Ducks were able to open it up against Stanford for the first time in a while. This team is constantly improving.
5 (7). Auburn (7-1) – Winning in Ole Miss is nothing to take lightly. They looked like one of the nation’s elite, aside from their inconsistent pass defense.
4 (4). Kansas State (7-1) – What makes this K-State team different than the previous ones is that this team really can score.
3 (3). TCU (7-1) – TCU got another very impressive road win in Morgantown. It is hard to fathom that it really only took two years for this program to take over the Big 12.
2 (2). Florida State (8-0) – They got another scare and another huge comeback. They can’t win it all if they come out like that against a decent team.
1 (1). Mississippi State (8-0) – They still deserve to be #1, despite a lackluster effort against Arkansas. They get a glorified bye next week before heading to Tuscaloosa.
Top 5 Games for Next Weekend
5. Oregon (#6) at Utah (#17), 7:00PM ESPN – Oregon is not the best road team out there, and Utah is typically very tough to beat at home. I am really intrigued by the clash of styles as well.
PREDICTION: Oregon 34-27
4. Alabama (#8) at LSU (#26), 5:00PM CBS – This matchup has become an annual thriller. Even though LSU is down, they proved that they can still take care of a top ranked team in Death Valley. Can they slow up the Tide offense?
PREDICTION: LSU 21-19
3. Ohio State (#12) at Michigan State (#11), 5:00PM ABC – Last year, in the B1G Championship Game, this game was uncompetitive. I can’t see that being the case this year. Michigan State seems incapable of losing a conference game, but this Ohio State team is frightening.
PREDICTION: Ohio State 34-30
2. Notre Dame (#7) at Arizona State (#10), 12:30PM ESPN – This is one of the marquee matchups of the season. ASU is coming in hot, and Notre Dame just nearly lost to Navy. What does that mean?
PREDICTION: Notre Dame 24-10
1. Kansas State (#4) at TCU (#3), 4:30PM FOX – This is the game that will likely decide the conference. K-State is still unbeaten in Big 12 play, and TCU has an offense that is relentless. This should be a stunner.
PREDICTION: Kansas State 23-21
Heisman Trophy Watch
5. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin – It is hard to get in when you are on a team that has a couple losses, but he is having a ridiculous season.
4. Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State – He is actually asked to do a lot more for this Seminole squad, and he is racking up the Heisman moments once again.
3. Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska – The injury should not take him out of contention. If he still comes back and carries his team to a conference title, then he should be a shoo-in nominee.
2. Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State – He had a shaky effort this week, but he is the best player on the best team. That is almost always enough to get invited.
1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon – He has been unbelievably efficient, and he finally beat Stanford. He is and should be the frontrunner.
College Football Playoff Projections
Chik-fil-A Peach Bowl: Mississippi State over Colorado State
Cotton Bowl: Baylor over Ohio State
Fiesta Bowl: TCU over Auburn
Orange Bowl: Oregon over Duke
College Football Playoff Semifinal #1 (Rose Bowl): Kansas State over Florida State
CFB Playoff Semifinal #2 (Sugar Bowl): Alabama over Notre Dame
National Championship Game: Alabama over Kansas State
What did you think of this weekend? Rankings? Heisman predictions? Let me know below!