Saturday, July 9, 2016

Power Rankings: Top 5 Talking Animals in Movies


With the release of the new animated film, The Secret Life of Pets, this week's Top Five will be about talking animals.  There have been many awesome talking animals in films, so this list will have some notable characters missing.  For me, animal characters need to have a few things to be considered great: good voice talent, good animation, and are they in a good story!  They also need to be in feature films, so sorry Mickey Mouse.  So let's get this list started like I usually do - with the honorable mentions.


Honorable Mentions: Po - Kung Fu Panda, Marlin and Dory - Finding Nemo, Rango - Rango, Z - Ants, Dug - Up, Donkey -Shrek, Flick - A Bug's Life, Mufasa - The Lion King, Rocket - Guardians of the Galaxy 
 5.
 Remy - Ratatouille

Ratatouille is one of those Pixar films that I feel gets overlooked at times.  It's a great film that I have appreciated even more the last few times I have watched it.  Remy is such a great character - he is trying to follow his dreams and not be what the world wants him to be.  He is a great example of perseverance and patience.  The very funny Patton Oswalt breathes his humor and humanity into Remy.  He makes the character believable as well as relatable. 
 4.
 Timon and Pumbaa - The Lion King

Hakuna Matata!  I couldn't just put one of them on this list and not the other.  I think that it's safe to say The Lion King is one of the best Disney films of all time.  Timon and Pumbaa are a pair and best buddies that bring the humor and laughs to this already great and otherwise rather dark story.  Imagine if they weren't in the film - how different it would have been.  Crazy to think about.  Let's go eat some bugs now - I heard they taste like chicken. 
 3.
 Roger Rabbit - Who Framed Roger Rabbit? 

Who Framed Roger Rabbit was such an innovative film that showed that live action and animation can work together.  Yes, Roger Rabbit might be annoying at times, but he shows the innocence and humor that people might have.  I find him enjoyable and I really love this film a lot.  Bob Hopkins did an amazing job interacting with Roger Rabbit.
 2.
 Baloo - The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book, like The Lion King, is arguably one of the best Disney films of all time.  Baloo, for me, makes The Jungle Book even better than it was already.  He is a fun-loving, laid back type of bear, but as you see later on in the film, he has a protective side too.  I loved the original version as well as the version of him this year.  
 1.
 Kermit the Frog - The Muppets films

Kermit the Frog is my favorite talking animal in films.  I grew up with the Muppets and will have my daughter watch them too!  The Muppets have so many great and timeless characters.  Kermit, the leader of the Muppets, has moments of craziness but still has a relatable charm to him.  Every time I think of him, I always picture him sitting on a log, singing "Rainbow Connection".  He will always be my favorite talking animal, and will be in the conversation for best movie character too.  Team Kermit!


That's my list!  What's on your list!

See you next week, when I give you my list for Top Five movie ghost.

Adam






No comments:

Post a Comment