Friday, October 9, 2020

Over the Moon - Netflix Movie Review!

 





From Oscar-winning director and animation legend, Glen Keane (Dear Basketball) and Pearl Studio, the makers of Abominable, comes Over the Moon, an out-of-this-world story about one girl's journey to the moon and the lengths she must travel as she learns to love again after experiencing loss.


I knew very little about this film other than it was voiced by an all-Asian cast.  The cast is simply fantastic.  Its a great mixture of established actors, John Cho, Sandra Oh, Ken Jeong, and newcomers as well, Cathy Ang and Robert G. Chiu.  Sometimes, when I watch animated films and I pick up on who the voice actor might be, I only see the face of the actors and not the character they are portraying.  However, here it's totally the opposite.  These actors are the characters.  The characters are fully realized to me and I really enjoyed them, especially the growth of Fei Fei (Cathy Ang).

.


The animation is bright and feels like it pops off the screen.  It's easily the best animated film of the year, without having seen Soul at the time of writing.  Having seen, Abominable, (a film I enjoyed) I can totally see the evolution of this studio!  It wouldn't surprise me if Pearl Studio starts putting out some high caliber projects in the near future.  There's a way they animate films that makes you feel a part of the film itself.  I think that's a rare accomplishment in animation today.  

As a person that has very limited knowledge of Asian culture, traditions, or legends, I found it quite refreshing to see their wonderful culture on my screen.  It felt natural and not forced.  I love seeing how we are getting a more proper representation of different cultures and ethnic groups in our films.  It's something that has taken far to long to happen but at least things are moving in the right direction!  

Speaking of culture, this movie is inspired by the Chinese moon goddess, Chang'e.  As I mentioned, I was totally unfamiliar with this classic tale!  I think the film did a very good job of informing new audiences who hadn't heard the legend before about who she is.  I think the filmmakers did something really smart in the way they animated the introduction of Chang'e.  The animation and color pallet changes to set the introduction apart, it makes it feel more important.  I hope that we see Chang'e as a modern-day goddess for the ages!



The story pulls at your heartstrings based on the subject matter.  I couldn't help but find myself relating to, Fei Fei, as she's learning to deal with a loss and having changes happen in her life.  Letting go is something in life that is so hard to do, and the movie shows that process in a unique way.  I did find myself drawing comparisons to Pixar at times because they are the master of telling these emotional stories.  Certain elements felt like something I had seen in their films as well (
UP, Inside Out)  but that didn't take away from my experience from the film!  Fei Fei and Chin (Robert G. Chiu) both have animated sidekicks, a bunny and a frog, so you could draw comparisons to Disney animation as well.  Both these animal characters bring some funny moments - my daughter really loved Fei Fei's bunny!


Sometimes, when you don't know anything going into a film, there are things that will certainly catch you off guard!  That totally is the case with this film!  There are 9 different original songs in this film, and I got to say they are amazing!  I can easily see this film getting a 'Best Original Song' Oscar Nomination this year!  They would be totally deserving of nominations as well.  Especially these songs, Rocket to the moon, Ultralumminary, and Mooncakes!  I'm looking forward to downloading them to my phone library so I can listen to them again!


Overall, I'm grateful to be getting the opportunity to see this film early!  Certain story elements are familiar, but taking this journey with Fei Fei and  Chin was an enjoyable experience.  The animation from Pearl Studio is something that gets me excited for their upcoming project next year, Dragon Keeper.  I would recommend this film to anyone who enjoys animation and fun storytelling.  Over the moon is a stunning musical story about love, loss, and the magic of imagination!


Adam Daly

Almostsideways.com

Almost Sideways Movie Podcast (Itunes, Spotify, Pandora, Stitcher)

Follow Adam on Twitter @adamsideways

Follow Almost Sideways on Twitter @AlmostSideways

No comments:

Post a Comment